On June 5th, 2020 there was a short message that the NBPA agreed to the terms to restart the 2019-2020 season. Their message would entail, “Various details remain to be negotiated and the acceptance of the scenario would still require that all parties reach agreement on all issues relevant to resuming play.”
However, as of June 26th, 2020 the deal is done and a final agreement is in place to restart the NBA at the Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, FL.
What we know about the restart:
- July 7-9: 22 teams will fly to Orlando, FL
- July 9-21: Training camp starts
- July 22-29: Inter-squad scrimmages
- July 30: 2019-2020 season resumes
- August 15-16: Play-in tournament (if needed based on 8th and 9th seed records)
- August 17: Beginning of Round 1 of the postseason
- August 25 NBA Draft Lottery
- August 31 Beginning of Round 2 of the postseason
- September 15: Beginning of conference finals
- September 30: Beginning of NBA Finals
The NBA has notated that a possible play-in tournament will happen based on the standings between the 8th seed and 9th seed of each conference. If the 8th seed holds a four-game or more lead over the 9th seed then, the 8th seed will clinch the 8th and final playoff spot. If the 8th seed holds less than a 4 game lead over the 9th seed then, there will be a play-in for the final playoff spot.
The play-in will require the team in the 8th seed to win one game against the 9th seed in a double-elimination format. The 9th seed would need to win two games against the 8th seed in a single-elimination format to advance to the playoffs.
The NBA has released the official schedule which will vary between the 22-teams. 7 games will be played during the hours of 12 PM EST – 9 PM EST. 2 courts will be reserved for nationally televised games. The restart will begin on Thursday, July 30, 2020.